"Bed Bugs…is your home on their vacation list?"
The threat of bed bugs infesting homes is becoming more prominent and alarming on a daily basis.
Our concerns range from:
Can family members bring them to my home in their luggage?… to… If I buy used furniture can I bring them home as well?
And the answers to both questions is probably YES if either has encountered an infestation.
Take steps to canvas your home for signs of a possible bed bug infestation:
- Inspect your furniture for bed bugs
- Check for a strong, sweet smell in a room – this can be a sign of an infestation
- Look for blood stains on bedding, mattresses, window treatments and walls that bed bugs may leave behind
- Look for welts or rashes on family members as well as pets, which may be caused by bed bug bites
- Vacuuming often can help reduce the speed of spread or stop eggs from hatching..but it will not eliminate a bed bug infestation
- Seal any openings in your walls and floors where pipes or wires pass through
- Reducing clutter in your home will decrease the number of hiding places for bed bugs
- Change and launder your bed sheets regularly in hot water with a temperature of at least 97 degrees F and place in dryer immediately on high heat
- Protect your bed by using a mattress cover that is designed to ward off bed bugs