"Summer Sends Ants Marching into Homes"
Advice on keeping ants out of the kitchen
The kitchen is a common place for ant infestations because it has easy access to food and water sources. Most ants seek crumbs, sticky residue from liquid spills, overripe fruit, and even last night’s leftovers. In addition to contaminating food, some ant species can also become serious property threats, so it’s best to resolve the problem quickly.
For a whole army or just a few ants, PermaTreat Pest and Termite Control encourages homeowners to take preventative measures against them with these tips (they’ll have a sparkling kitchen in the process, too.):
- Eliminate sources of moisture or standing water; repair leaky pipes or faucets.
- Quickly clean up crumbs and spills as soon as possible.
- Do the dishes, wipe down countertops, sweep up floors and remove trash regularly.
- Don’t leave full dog and cat food dishes sitting out all day; pick up dishes once the animals are done eating.
- Check under appliances and behind garbage cans where crumbs and residue can accumulate.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the house.
- Seal any cracks or small openings around the foundation of the home and repair ripped screens as these can serve as entry points.
For more ant advice, call our friendly pest control staff today!