APPEARANCE: Black mosquito with striking white markings on the body and legs.
PERSONALITY: Very agressive. Bites during the day. One of the primary nuisance mosquitoes in Virginia.
PREFERRED BREEDING SITES: Artificial containers that hold water for seven days or more (these can be as big as an abandoned swimming pool or as small as a bottle cap), tires, discarded paper cups, flowerpots and black corrugated drain pipes.
DAYTIME HANGOUT: Anywhere cool and shady. Ivy, azaleas and bushes are favorite resting spots.
HEALTH RISK: The Asian tiger mosquito can transmit the West Nile virus but the risks are ver low in certain parts of Virginia.
ADDITIONAL FACTS: The Asian tiger mosquitoes are not strong flyers and typically will not travel far from their breeding habitats. However, females searching for a blood meal will fly from house to house within a neighborhood.
3 Easy Steps to a DIY Mosquito Free Home
1. Eliminate Mosquito Breeding Sites
- Female Asian tiger mosquitoes lay their eggs in artificial containers.
- Empty water out of containers at least once a week. Look for containers in hidden places such as under decks and behind sheds. Also check tarps for standing water.
- Treat containers that cannot be emptied (such as gutters or abandoned pools) with an insecticide that specifically targets mosquito larvae. Look for products such as Mosquito Dunks, sold in garden centers and hardware stores.
- Ensure that corrugated drain pipes are placed correctly so that they do not hold water. If pipes are above ground, emptythem once a week. Otherwise, place a Mosquito Dunk inside the pipe to prevent mosquitoes breeding. Replace the Dunks once a month during mosquito season. Use a piece of string to attach the dunk to the pipe or gutter to prevent it from being washed away during heavy rains.
2. Protect Yourself from Bites
- Wear long, light-colored, and loose-fitting clothing to avoid mosquito bites.
- Apply an insect repellent to exposed skin when outdoors.
- Repellant products containing the active ingredients DEET, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus based on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Make certain that you choose and use the repellent that works best for you.
- Do not allow young children to apply insect repellent to themselves. Always have an adult help them.
- Remember to read and follow the label instructions when using insect repellents.
3. Defend Your Garden
- A permethrin barrier spray to your yard will provide temporary relief for biting adult mosquitoes.
- Permethrin is an insecticide that both repels and kills mosquitoes. It has low human toxicity and is readily available in garden centers and hardware stores. When looking for permethrin products, make certain to check the labeling – permethrin id the name of the active ingredient, not the product brand name.
- Permethrin products that come with a manual pump spray or hose attachment are the easiest to apply.
- Apply permethrin to ivy, shrubs, trees, ornamental grasses, and to any other plants where Asian tiger mosquitoes are resting. Permethrin will not harm your garden plants.
- Reapply as needed depending on mosquito presence and rainfall.
- Remember to always read and follow the label instructions.
While mosquitoes can be a nuisance they can cause great discomfort with their annoying bites. April thru September is mosquito season so make mosquito control a number one priority if you plan on spending a great deal of time enjoying your yard.
To learn more about getting rid of mosquitoes click here.
If the DIY Mosquito Control doesn’t fit in your busy schedule feel free to Contact PermaTreat if you live in Virginia. We have an excellent program that will eliminate mosquitoes.