9 Creepy Cockroach Facts You Didn’t Want To Know
1. Cockroaches have been around since dinosaurs.
For millions of years, they’ve been evolving into some of the most adaptable creeps on Earth.
2. Cockroaches cure cancer! Maybe?
Scientists found that contact with the insects’ nervous tissue was found to kill 90% of MRSA and E. coli with no harmful effect on human cells. Yay!
3. There are about 4,000 species of cockroaches in the world.
About 70 of these species are found in the United States. ‘Murica.
4. Cockroaches are dirtier than you think (if that’s possible).
They are capable of spreading nearly 33 different kinds of bacteria. They do this by contaminating food by shedding their skins. Their cast off skin and waste byproducts (aka poop) are allergens that can trigger allergic reactions, asthma and other illnesses.
5. It’s hard to drown a cockroach.
They can hold their breath for 40 minutes. Not to mention they can live up 2 weeks without water.
6. Some female cockroaches know how to tie a man down.
They have the ability only mate once and stay pregnant for life.
7. Cockroaches are invincible, to an extent.
They can live for up to one week without its head.
8. The FDA deems anything below 60 insect parts per 100 grams to be safe for human consumption.
Why do you need to know this? Because, on average, there are 8 insect parts in that chocolate bar you just scarfed down. Chocolate’s best friend, peanut butter—along with cheese, popcorn, and others—also usually contain some amount of cockroach.
9. From 2010 to the end of 2013, the value of dried cockroach increased tenfold in China. The nasty little buggers are actually farmed and are powdered to be used by cosmetic companies that buy them as a source of protein. Now go wash your face.
If you have a case of the heeby geebies now, call PermaTreat for a free analysis and treatment consultation.
Tags: cockroaches, pest control